Monday, May 7, 2007

Ebony

Dogs have been in my life since I can remember. I did not have dogs growing up as my dad insisted we needed more space for a dog. Everytime I met a stray or a friend's dog, I would mope, cry and make a big tantrum. But it didn't help!

At the age of 16, when we moved to Pune, my dad finally had to give in to years of my begging and pleading. He took me to an Army Cantonment where he had found out about a female doberman who had had a litter sometime back. I jumped onto my dad's Kinetic Honda and couldn't wait to get home the dog I had always wanted. We reached the house to be greeted by barks and whines. The door opened and out ran 5 cute little black and brown puppies. All of them had different coloured ribbons in their necks. The owner told us that he hadn't named them as he wanted the new owners to give their pup a name. He just used the colour of the ribbion they wore to identify one from the other. The pups were over 2 months old and I was in love with all of them the very instance I laid my eyes on them. There was one pup with a bright blue ribbion who kept tugging at my skirt and trying to rip it apart. She was one of the females and I guess she chose me. I immediately picked her up and told my dad I wanted her and she was the one we took home that day!

I carried my new puppy in my arms and made her sit on my lap and held her tight. She was scared of the traffic that drove past her. Dad and I reached home and my mom and sister Ayesha were eagerly waiting for us. I put her down to show her off to them. They loved her. She was a pup but had strong bone structure and a solid frame. We named her EBONY.

Ebony grew up very fast just as most dogs do. She got taller by the day. She developed a deadly infection at the age of 6 months called Parvo virus but she was too strong to give up on life. She fought hard through her illness only to become more stronger as she grew up.

My dear beloved Ebony left me at the age of one. She accompanied us in our car the day we had our accident and we couldn't find her after the crash. I will never forget Ebony as she was the light of my life.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey SANAM

i am so jealous of u right now

coz...i have never owned a DOG all 22 yrs of ma life..can u imagine what a tragedy that is? :(

everytime i see a pet dog..or even a stray PUPPY..i feel sorry 4 myself

@ not being able 2 OWN that JOY!!!

and i hope i can change that soon..
convincing is in progresss :)


za man

p.s:read the blog post 2 months back on UNCONDITIONAL LOVE..it talks abt PUPPIES

Abhishek said...

You write with so much of emotions, no wonder i get to see a great writer in you...

become a full-fledged one naah...

and about the story of Ebony, all I have to say is that she will always hold the torch no matter wherever she is and it will always be projected on you and as you said the 'light of your life,' i am sure her memories itself are so priceless that i could always see the shine on your face...

Ebony: We all love you

Anonymous said...

sanam,
you a re as sweet a person as a puppy
stay that way always please plz plz